Search This Blog

Friday, April 24, 2009

Writers of All Colors Who Want To Kill Themselves (& Their Fat Pets)

I missed this New York Times report on blogger book deals, which is good because it makes me want to poke my eyes out.   I know you know what's made the leap from book to blog already, but I can't help listing it out so you can relive the pain and humiliation with me all over again:
Don't get me wrong: these are perfectly adorable blogs.  I've logged some time on them and gotten some laughs, but are they books? Are they truly even novelty reading people spend money to have in their bathrooms?  I want to say no, these are not books.  These are nowhere near worthy of bookhood. But I'd be wrong, wouldn't I?  (I prefer to think of them as a different species altogether: Blooks.  Or, perhaps Go-Online-For-Free Readers.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is garbage. Total trash. The thing to do is find out the names of the agents and laugh at them. Sure, they're making money, but they're peddling filth. Where are the agents who are after great books?

Anonymous said...

These shouldn't be books, but, that being said, I'd rather receive one of these as a gift and flip through them occasionally then get a Danielle Steel novel that I'd have absolutely no use for.

Also I think these Brooklyn coffee table books should be separate from a Great Books conversation-- they're just for fun.

A DreamWorks Pictures said...

LROD: THE NOVEL (Soon to Be a Major Motion Picture, starring Kate Hudson as LROD, Statler and Waldorf (the two old men-hecklers from the Muppet Show balcony) as two recurring Anonymi, Laurence Fishburne as CAPS MAN!, and Ernest Borgnine as John Bruce.)

Anonymous said...

that comicbook store employee from the Simpsons should play NM

A DreamWorks Picture said...

David Carradine has just signed on to play Native Ink.

Lewis Black will play NM.

Anonymous said...

no. i think Native_Ink is a chick. also, Lewis Black is somewhat attractive, ergo, too attractive.

A DreamWorks Picture said...

Well, you know how movies are -- they change gender, conflate characters, etc., to suit their purposes.