- A stranger found my dad dead in the woods. Lesson: life is unpredictable
- My dad cut me out of his will. Lesson: life is humbling
- I finished my novel. Lesson: Keep writing, especially when it's hard
- No novel of mine got published in 2009, despite this bold statement. Lesson: Never make public predictions
- I started a new novel anyway. Lesson: Resilience is a writing tool
- Believe it or not, I feel lucky for 1-5 Lesson: Why be an asshole?
As for the decade as a whole, all in all it was pretty good:
Here are a few goals for the New Year:
- In 2000 I won a fiction grant for $25,000.00 that let me quit my job and write my novel, then start a freelance writing business, so I could continue working on other creative writing and finally finish my novel. Which I did. Eventually. Lesson: The universe provides
- I moved to a new state and married the love of my life. Lesson: Only a few lucky s.o.b.'s get to marry for love, so be grateful every minute because life is unpredictable and humbling (see above)
- I published several personal essays and short stories, won a few prizes, including one for $15,000.00 and one for $500.00. Lesson: Submit, submit, submit...and enjoy when things go well
- I finished a new book of stories and a new book of essays. Lesson: Write, write, write.
- I got a lot of therapy and joined a 12-step group to deal with my alcoholic childhood (Funny sentence: I wasn't the alcoholic), also learned to breathe. Lesson: There is help if you seek it
- I didn't get any of my books published, but I'm not ready to give up. In fact, perhaps you could say I'm just getting started. Lesson: What else can I do? Give up?
- Be grateful for all the people I love and love them better
- Be grateful for all the people who love me and accept love better
- Ask for help more often and breathe more often
- Remember how humbling it is to be human; stay in that place
- Have a positive attitude whenever possible
- Try to believe in something, anything, even God if that's what it takes
What about you all, mice? What are your goals for 2010?