Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Grinchy Rejection

Here's one that's cold and Christmasy and cc'd to the mutual acquaintance who passed it along. "I absolutely believe that your children love it." Compassion, much?

"The manuscript you gave (a mutual friend) arrived today. I read it at once and am really sorry to have to tell you that I am afraid it is not something we can add to our list. I absolutely believe that your children love it, but there is a real difference between a told story and a written one. And I am afraid that [Title of Book] is just too slight and too sentimental to make a successful book. This is, of course, just one opinion, and I wish you every success with the project. All the best wishes for the holiday season.


Sincerely,


(name of lady agent)


cc: (mutual friend)"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't slight and sentimental the formula for all bestsellers?

Anonymous said...

condescending

The Rejection Queen said...

I got one during this time and it said, "I'm sorry to have to start the new year off like this but...."

seen those before said...

That is standard language for young kiddy book rejections. They tend not to be as curt as adult or YA query rejections. Most kiddy book queries mention that the author's children loved the story, so the agent is probably echoing it back to the writer.

Susan Woodring said...

Oh, sad. This blog reminds me why it is so many writers drink.

Anonymous said...

Dude, I think a curt "So sorry, not for us" is way better than this. The "best wishes for a holiday season" line after the painful rejection was in poor taste. This email should go on the Passive Aggressive Notes blog.

Anonymous said...

The condescending part is the "there is a real difference between a told story and a written one."

Anonymous said...

I wonder why she cc'd it to the mutual friend? That seems kind of tacky.