Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2009

Rejection Pep Talk by Mary J Dressel

Need a pep talk?  Go here

A highlight: With the two pages of suggestions were the words, “Revise and send back.” My heart skipped to the moon over that one. Did I revise? Did I re-send it? You bet I did. To give you an idea of how the publishing world works I have to say that yes, I did all the revisions that was suggested to me, and I sent it in. They had my manuscript for TWO YEARS! By time someone actually read it, with revisions… the editor who gave the suggestions, had moved on. I asked for it back. This is how it works. Editors move on. Rejections come, and rejections go. You cry. You laugh. The one thing you will want to do is NEVER give up on yourself, or your writing. If you keep getting rejected over and over, it might be time to do a big revision. Do it! Keep pushing, keep polishing, and keep submitting. Keep at IT! Don’t give up! You will soon learn that rejections are a part of a writer’s life. Like it or not-this is how it is. But, when, and I say WHEN not IF, you get accepted-it will be the most fun, proud thing you’ve ever done! Honest!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, the RSS seems to be broken. Alas, more pageviews for you, then.

The Next said...

Oprah, here she comes.

Anonymous said...

It's also a good idea to have a life outside of writing and trying to get published.

pwlsax said...

"Editors move on" is very good advice. (Not to editors.) Never assume that a company is interested in you. Companies can't show "interest" that isn't expressed in numbers.

Books, mss., ideas appeal to one person. So much depends on each of us - writers too.

Anonymous said...

who drew that masterpiece?

Mary J. Dressel said...

This article about rejections was written by me, and posted here without my permission. At least whoever owns this blog used my name. But, it was used without my permission! I did not give this blogger permission to use my article here.

Author, Mary J. Dressel
http://www.maryjdresselbooks.com

Proud to be the published author of --
Visions of Enchantment and
Enchantment's Embrace.

Mary J. Dressel said...

Thank you, after all. I see you did include a link on where to find my article. In that case, you may keep my article here. Thank you.

Mary

Writer, Rejected said...

Hmm. Well, Mary, would you like me to redact the highlighted excerpt in this post? It's free publicity for you and probably lots of hits on your blog, but I'm happy to remove it. I haven't run across the issue of needing to ask for permission to run a short excerpt with a link, but I will ask you for permission, if you will give it. Either way, just let me know what you'd like to do.

Mary Dressel said...

Feel free to keep it. I see where you found it, and since you did include that, and my name, I will, instead, say thanks for the opportunity to be on your blog. Thank you.

Mary

Chazz said...

Even if you hadn't provided the link, since yours was an excerpt of a much longer piece, is this not a common example of the fair use clause?